Winter solstice mutton soup, Chinese best 1 mutton soup recipe. It is the annual December 22nd. This day is called the Winter Solstice in China or some Asian countries. Today, many hot pot restaurants in Chengdu, Sichuan prepare the mutton soup. Their business is very hot because lots of people go to drink mutton soup. According to the most commonly used mutton soup recipe in Chengdu, this article will teach friends how to make mutton soup at home.
Winter solstice mutton soup
Friends who often drink mutton soup in China know that the soup made by the high-quality mutton is particularly strong, and the mutton is particularly tender, and it will not taste fishy.
Is there any skill? In fact, the mutton soup in the restaurants is relatively dense. One important reason is that the mutton soup is stewed with a lot of lamb bones, and it takes times.
Moreover, they pay attention to choosing the breed of sheep. Generally, sheep are better. The mutton soup made with sheep meat is more fresh and fragrant! What are the skills of making mutton soup at home? I will share some tips about how to cook mutton soup!
Mutton Soup Ingredients
- Lamb’s leg
- lamb bone
- green onion
- cooking wine
- green Sichuan peppercorn
- chili oil
- sesame oil
Winter Solstice Mutton Soup Make Steps
- Buy the leg of lamb, shave the mutton first, cut into small pieces, and chop off the bones. Before stewing the mutton soup, some people boil it first. Some people stew it directly. Both wrong. What’s the right step? First, you should put the mutton and lamb bones in water, add a few peppers, and soak for 2 hours. The purpose is to remove blood from mutton, reduce odor, and make the mutton less fishy.
- After soaking, remove the bones and meat, add some cold water to the pot, put mutton and lamb bones in the cold water. Then, add some ginger slices, pour some cooking wine, add some green pepper, ginger slices, scallion section one by one. After boiling, remove the foam on the surface. Pay attention please, you must put the bones and meat in cool water. If you do it after boiling, the cold mutton will shrink with the hot water, and the blood in the mutton will be locked in the mutton. The mutton would not be tender and the soup would be very fishy.
- Remove the mutton after in the boiling water for some time, wash it in warm water so that the mutton will be more tender very clean, and the soup will be particularly thick and white. This can also reduce the smell of mutton and make the soup taste fresher. After cleaning, put the mutton into the pot again, and add enough hot water. Do not add water halfway. If you add water halfway, the mutton soup is not thick and white enough and the taste will be not good enough.
- Add a few slices of ginger and scallion to the pot, cover the pot, and boil over high heat. After boiling, open the pot lid and with low heat for 2 hours. The mutton must be cooked with the lid open so that the smell of mutton can be emitted with the steam. Then remove all the scallion and ginger, and go on for 60 minutes on medium-low heat. At this time, the mutton has been particularly rotten. Remove the mutton, and meat on the bone while it is still hot. Put the bones back to the soup and continue to stew. Cut the mutton into pieces and set aside.
- Take some mutton into a bowl, add some soup. According to your taste, add some salt, pepper, a spoonful of vinegar, some chopped green onion and coriander. If you like spicy food, you can also add some chili oil, and then add some sesame oil. Delicious mutton soup is ready!
Winter Solstice Mutton Soup Cooking Skills
- Sheep is the best choice for mutton. After chopping into pieces, don’t put into the pot to cook Immediately, but to soak it in the water at room temperature for 2 hours to remove the blood and then simmer.
- Put mutton into the pot with cold water. After skimming the floating foam, remove mutton, put it in warm water, and clean it.
- When the mutton is stewed in the pot, add enough hot water at one time, and do not add water halfway. After the water has boiled, open the pot lid and go on with low heat for 2 hours. Then remove all shallots and ginger slices, and go on for 60 minutes with medium-low heat.
- Don’t put too many condiments in the mutton soup, especially the star anise. After putting the anise, the mutton soup is not fresh. Just add the right amount of green pepper, ginger slices, and shallots.
Chinese Recipes, Easiest Recipe for Making Chinese Food. Chinese food with recipes, china food recipes, Chinese food recipes, Chinese healthy food recipes
9 thoughts on “Best 1 winter solstice mutton soup recipe”
Hello there,I must say that you have done a great job on this article as it’s very interesting and also informative article and I know it would be of great help to the public as it has been of help to me.i have really heard of the winter solstice mutton suloup and I have not tried but I think this recipe is going to make a good Christmas meal.thanks once again
One of the best list of Chinese spices. I will be adding a few of them to my kitchen. All of the dishes and recipes look delicious. I have a seldom used induction hot plate and a hot pot would be a good way to use it. Thank you for the idea.
We ordered a hot pot soup the last time I was in a Chinese restaurant. Very good. (but too much sugar) I see you list a lot of sugars.
Oh, my friends. I think you might have read some other posts. There is no sugar in my list for the mutton soup. Of course, if you prefer sweets, you can add some.
This is my first time to hear of the Winter Solstice in China and it looks really amazing to know about it. Thank you Jess for sharing this special soup that thrives on Winter Solstice in China, Winter Solstice Mutton Soup. A sheep is popularly used in my area to prepare meals too. I just found out that a Mutton is the meat of a sheep over two years of age.
Thank you for sharing the correct steps to prepare this recipe.
A sheep is popularly used in your area to prepare meals so that it would be easy for you to get mutton. If you like I advise you to have a try to do the mutton soup yourself. Maybe you’ll love it.
Oh not so bad. Doesn’t look like something that should pose as a problem for me to make. Your tips are very well received and honestly, I am happy that you added pictures to this to make it even easier. The truth is that I have never heard of the Winter solstice mutton soup but it looks great and looks like it will taste justas awesome.
It is said that drinking mutton soup helps to protect against the cold, so we have the tradition of drinking mutton soup on the winter solstice. Of course, different area has different traditions. In China, some places have the tradition of eating dumplings on the winter solstice.
Yummy! Thank you for this awesome post! I love your posts because I absolutely love Chinese food! This mutton soup looks amazing to me, and though I won’t be able to make any today (we already have Christmas dinner cooking), this would also make a great New Years dinner (which btw, I’m excited to see what you post for this coming Chinese New Year!). As for the chili powder, does that make it spicey? I love spicey but my wife does not. Is there any substitute for it?
Thanks. I’ll write something about our Chinese spring festival when our new year is coming. You said about pepper. It’s used to make the soup fresher. You’ll feel little spicey. Or you can use fennel instead.